Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tasty Tofu?! YES! Hubby-Approved!!

One of the first meals I started regularly making when I really began cooking about a decade ago. I am not sure what even made me think to try tofu! ...though a discussion of SOY is coming SOON!

My hubby who doesn't (DIDN'T!) like tofu ... thinks this is delicious!!!




Rich and Tasty Tofu Stir Fry


3 Tbsp soy sauce (or to taste)
1 Tbsp garlic, minced 
½ tsp ginger
Cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 lb package tofu, EXTRA-FIRM
2 T sesame seeds
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 c broccoli, chopped
16 oz bag spinach
1 c cashews CLICK HERE to find out about why nuts are wonderful!
2.5 c uncooked brown rice (prepare)
Optional: some cooking wine and a bit of sesame oil...we have been omitting these for several years, but originally included.

Drain water from tofu as much as possible. Chop tofu in ½-inch cubes. Heat skillet or wok. Bring soy sauce, garlic, ginger, pepper, and some water to boil. Add tofu, cover, and simmer about 15-20 minutes, until tofu well-soaked with sauce; stir occasionally. I don't get tofu to crisp, unless I cook it in the oven, but it's always tasty. Remove tofu and remaining broth from skillet. Heat skillet and cook vegetables over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes, until crisp-tender. Add tofu, remaining broth, and cashews. Heat together. Serve over brown rice.


You could probably use any type of veggies for this; any frozen bag of mixed or stir-fry veggies would work. The sauce flavors are so tasty -- they make anything really yummy -- like tofu!!

BONUS HINT about tofu: Firm is for savory dishes, and silken is for smoothies and desserts!

Reversing can be disastrous! Once, around the time I started making this recipe, I tried making a smoothie with firm tofu -- no matter how many pieces or varieties of fruit I added, I could not get rid of the unpleasant, tofu taste! I think he avoided trying new foods for a long time after that experience! Sorry, Nicholas.

As for stir-fry, you simply need the firmness to hold shape!

Read 5 BIG Reasons to Make Your Meat Portions Small!

Coming soon: Benefits of Soy; Soy and Cancer, and Milk Comparisons!

COMMENTS: How do you like your soy? How are you spending Mother's Day?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...