Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hearty "Turkey" Meatloaf


This one we have been making for years, slowly adapted from a recipe my aunt and uncle made for us when I was pregnant with our almost 6 yr-old! Back then, I was pretty inexperienced with cooking, so if you're in that boat, have NO FEAR!  SO here it is!






Hearty "Turkey" Meatloaf

2 onions, large, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped1 tsp pepper
1 tsp thyme

1 lb spinach
1 c ground lentils
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp tomato paste
¼ c Worcestershire sauce
10 slices whole wheat bread, toasted, ripped in pieces
¼ c chia seeds

¼ c + 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed½ c warm water
ketchup (optional)

*Cook 1 cup lentils 20 min, combine with Italian seasoning, chop in food processor until it appears like "ground meat", adding 2 Tbsp flaxseed and
½ c warm water. Add more water as necessary.

Sauté onions and red pepper with pepper, and thyme for a few min. Add spinach, cook few more min. Add Worcestershire and tomato paste; mix well. Let mixture cool. Add ground lentils, bread, chia, and flax; mix well. Add up to 1.5 c water, so it is nice and moist. Smash into 9 x 13” rectangular glass pan (don't need to grease). Spread ketchup on top. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Shannon said...

That looks delish! I love that its healthy :)

Fresh-You said...

Very belatedly, thanks Shannon! I just made this dish with a bunch of substitutions last night and it turned out pretty yummy! I had a bunch of veggies I wanted to use (green onions, cabbage, kohlrabi leaves, dandelion, Swiss chard, a little spinach), and not a lot of what it's usually called for (onions, peppers, spinach). Plus, I didn't have bread, so I used Shredded Wheat (the kind with bran too!) -- this worked pretty awesomely! -- no need to cut/rip any bread, PLUS it's so much healthier!, and I cooked the veggies with basil instead of thyme, and that was good too! Well, I'm off to your blog to see what you're up to! Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...