Believe it or not! You've probably already had chia in your house!
It's the same stuff that grows as a CHIA PET!
Actually, CHIA SEEDS are good for more than growing a window pet!
They are SUPER NUTRITIOUS!
They have been used for hundreds of years by the Aztecs as their primary energy source; with the Mayans as well, so much that the word "chia" means STRENGTH in Mayan!
Why are CHIA SEEDS SO Awesome?
Benefits of Chia
Benefits of Chia
1. Load of OMEGA-3 -- anti-inflammatory, pain reduction Among other benefits!
You find omega-3 in few plant foods besides flaxseed and walnuts.
2. Awesome non-meat, gluten-free, complete source of PROTEIN! Why would you want non-meat protein? Why would you want gluten-free protein? Here are some other non-meat sources of protein and PROTEIN BENEFITS
3. Soluble FIBER -- really helpful for BLOOD SUGAR control, weight loss (increases the volume of food by 9x while only adding minimal calories...see note on GEL below), sustained energy (Aztecs used as primary energy source!) -- it keeps you going strong for a long, long time!
4. Lots of antioxidants (quantity comparable with blueberries!), protecting it's omega-3 fats (#1) from oxidative damage (avoid rancidity -- yucky!, AND destructive to awesome health benefits!). Plus, the antioxidants protect YOUR BODY from free radical damage! More HERE on antioxidants and chia seeds!
5. Here are just SOME of the other nutrients: CALCIUM, POTASSIUM, MAGNESIUM, IRON, and ZINC!
Chia GEL = Combine 1 part seeds and 9 parts water, and SOAK for at least 10 min. Add to any food that blends with liquid, such as oatmeal.
Recipes to Try!
CHIA FRESCA: add chia to 100% fruit juice or add chia to water and a bit of lemon or lime juice! A Mexican tradition!
Plus, 7 fresh-you chia seed recipes!
BONUS CHIA USE: Better Baking Breadcrumbs! Use them in every dish!
COMMENTS: Did you ever have a chia pet growing up? I don't remember ever doing it! Did you ever do a funny one, like Garfield? I see there are still a lot of options to choose from!