Sunday, February 26, 2012

Confetti Mashed Potatoes!

Savory Roasted Veggies AND Confetti Mashed Potatoes!

More than your average mashed potatoes!



SAVORY ROASTED VEGGIES

3 zucchini
1 sweet potato
12 red potatoes
5 small onions
1 and 1/2 c grape tomatoes

pepper, to taste (or homemade Italian seasoning)
  • Chop veggies in large chunks.
  • In large bowl, combine all veggies and spices
  • Rosemary tastes great with roasted veggies, rosemary has awesome anti-inflammatory properties!
  • The quantities above are basically what I had and threw together.  With fewer veggies, you can fill a plastic bag to mix and coat all the veggies with a little water and spice.
  • Dump everything on a rimmed cookie sheet.
  • Spread out as well as you can -- but it's ok if it isn't one flat layer.
  • You can turn veggies half way through baking, for more browning, but it isn't necessary.
  • Bake at 375 for ~30 minutes.
  • Test with fork that largest pieces are tender.
  • Enjoy!


With leftovers, or for a little one, toss Savory Roasted Veggies into food processor. Blend until desired smoothness. You may add some milk if it seems dry, to increase creaminess. I like mine with a bit of chunkiness. To add some nutrition, as well as some crunch, add 1 c walnuts! Yum!

The unphotographed result is a lovely side dish of CONFETTI MASHED POTATOES!

They come out a light orange color, with tiny bits of a variety of colors (green, red, orange, etc) -- confetti!

This recipe makes a great BABY FOOD -- lots of nutrients, tastiness, and color! In fact, that's how I came up with it! I tend to throw anything into my food processor for my son (19 mos) to allow him to eat MORE. He is a great eater, but little ones just get bored sometimes and want to play!

DISTRACT YOUR CHILD: If you have trouble getting your child to eat, you can give them their own spoon, and a toy. Let them eat and play as they like, and you can give bites in their mouth all the while!

If you worry about your child eating TOO much, with this recipe, you'll know they are getting a nice rounded variety.

I make it a rule to TASTE whatever I am feeding my child, so I know it is yummy! He sees me taking bites which also encourages him to eat, to be like Mommy! When I tasted this, I knew other adults would LOVE it! It takes mashed potatoes, with so much added flavor!

COMMENTS: What textures do you love/hate? Do these preferences keep you from eating certain foods of which you know you would enjoy the flavor?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to try these. About how many servings does this make?

Fresh-You said...

I'd say this recipe makes about 8 servings. Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...